As we age, we lose an average 1 percent of collagen on our skin each year. Also, our rate of skin regeneration decreases about 7 percent each decade. Hence, as grow older, ageing gradually sets in – resulting in dull looking skin.
Aging may result from both intrinsic and extrinsic factors.
- Genetic factors
- AKA chronological aging
- Lifestyle and environmental factors eg sun exposure, pollutants, unhealthy diet, smoking
Here are 5 ways to maintain the glowing, dewy and youthful skin:
- Regular Skin exfoliation.
- With increasing age, the rate of skin regeneration and removal of dead skin cells gradually decline.
- Leads to accumulation of dead skin cells on skin surface; dull looking appearance
- Microdermabrasion treatment eg Silk Infusion can effectively exfoliate dead skin cells, stimulate skin regeneration and hydrate skin
- Chemical peel; active ingredients such as glycolic acid or mandelic acid will dissolve dead skin cells in a controlled manner and encourage new skin growth.
- As a general rule of thumb; antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids are essential for good health.
- Neutralizes free radicals which damage healthy skin cells and accelerates skin aging
- Act as a natural sunblock
- Boost collagen production
- Reduce inflammation
- Example – vitamin C, vitamin E, beta carotene, lycopene
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty acids
- Keep skin moisturized and fimr
- Anti-inflammatory – reduce redness and acne
- Protect from sun damage
- Note – Important to maintain a healthy Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio of 4:1
- Exercise regularly (30 minutes at least 3 times a week) will help to improve our blood circulation.
- When we have good blood circulation it will increase blood flow to our face, bringing all the nutrients and goodness to our skin, resulting a good and glowing skin.
- UV exposure can lead to damage to our skin and slow down collagen synthesis process and making our skin looks rough and dull.
- Apply your sunscreen regularly (4 hourly) during daytime
- choose sun blocks that contains at least SPF 30 and broad spectrum (blocks both UVA and UVB rays)
- Good skin care regime.
- Makeup remover, Cleanser, Toner, Serum, Moisturizer
- Exfoliate 1-2x/week
- Ingredients like vitamin A, C and E, hyaluronic acid and aloe vera can fight against unwanted free radicals and retain moisture as well.